Thursday, April 08, 2010

the analytical mind

i'm surprised i'm back here so soon! guess i really don't feel like doing more studying after such a long day at hospital, even tho it doesn't really count cos it wasn't a very productive day. good enough i suppose...

it's curious how all the science subjects i've taken since pri sch has nurtured such an analytical mind in me. in science, we consider things in factors. many factors can contribute to something, many factors can affect the outcome of something. this is clearly illustrated in science experiements. we learn about all the factors that can affect something, aka the variables, and that we try to keep all of them constant except one, so that a fair comparison can be made. sadly, this almost intuitive science-oriented thinking is not so useful in life. people can be put in the same situation, yet by a stroke of luck or unluck, have very different outcomes. people can put in the same amount of effort, yet by a stroke of luck or unluck, one's efforts pay off more than anothers. pple can give up everything yet not succeed while others do. Lives shouldn't be compared, so the inevitably analytical mind only creates misery and discontent in doing so. yet i may say that this is human nature? one that others have a greater tendency towards despite knowing how incorrect and detrimental going down such a line of thought is. as what i learnt from watching 'don't worry be happy' on channel 8 almost a decade ago, 'ren2 bi3 ren2 hui4 qi4 si3 ren2' translated literally to 'comparing will just make you fed up'. Indeed, the bible has never promised that life would be fair and i'm the last person who should be complaining cos i've been so richly blessed and protected by God these 21 years of my life; scripture teaches us to be content in every situation, for God will meet our every need, He will provide for us abundantly, and His grace is sufficient for us to meet every challenge and task we may face in the days to come!

He Knows My Name

I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call